A rock solid career move
As one of Canada’s most innovative science centre attractions, we attract tourists and media attention from all around the world. Expectations are high, and we depend on our staff to make sure that all our visitors have the best possible GEO CENTRE experience.
While our team is on the smaller side, from time to time positions will become available. Please watch this space on a regular basis to keep up to date on any openings.
In the meantime, why not consider volunteering? It’s a great way to gain valuable experience, while contributing to the ongoing success of the Johnson GEO CENTRE!
Current Available Positions:
Science Interpreter 3 and Guest Services
Science Interpreter 3
Position: Science Interpreter 3 (two positions available)
Employment Status: Full-time, Temporary (Summer)
Hours of Work: 30-40 hours a week; Days/Evenings/Weekends
Rate of Pay: $11.50 per hour
Application Requirements: Resume and Cover Letter; A minimum of three references. (RNC Certificate of Conduct (less than 30 days old) needed if you are successful candidate)
Who can apply: Individual between 15-30 years of age, who have been registered as full-time students in previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial legislation and regulations
Summary of Position:
The Science Interpreter interacts with visitors of all ages, leading tours and interpretive programs within the Johnson GEO CENTRE and GEO PARK. Interpreters make a GEO CENTRE visit a memorable experience for the general public, by providing excellent visitor services, knowledge and learning opportunities in a fun, hands-on manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact with GEO CENTRE visitors to enhance their experience
- Provide excellent visitor services and interpretation to the general public including families, school and youth groups, tourists and birthday party groups.
- Work as a member of a team to deliver GEO CLASSES.
- Provide basic security and monitoring of the exhibit spaces.
- Prepare and present daily interpretive programs and tours.
- Offer science oriented programs and workshops for families and kids.
- Operate the Steele Earth & Space Theatre, showing 2D and 3D movies
- Assist with the development of interpretation and exhibit materials, research and develop new public programs when required.
- Promote the GEO CENTRE at aff-site locations.
- Other duties as required and assigned.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident entitled to work in Canada, between 15 to 30 years of age, coming from and returning to full-time studies in the fall
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent public speaking and communication skills.
- Outgoing, polite, friendly and patient.
- Basic knowledge of the geology and /or cultural history of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Able to multi-task and work efficiently on individual projects.
- Able to work a variety of shifts.
- Possess moderate computer skills and the ability to learn quickly.
- Preference given to candidates with a background in Science (Earth Science, Biology, Physical Geography), Arts (Archeaology, Anthropology), and /or Tourism.
- Experience working in a science centre, or museum an asset.
- Experience leading tours, programs, or day camps an asset.
- Able to fluently read, write and speak French an asset.
To Apply: Deliver, email or fax your resume with cover letter, including three references to:
Ms. Andrea van Nostrand; Manager, Education & Interpretation; Johnson GEO CENTRE; 175 Signal Hill Road; St. John’s, NL; A1A 1B2; Fax (709) 737-7889; email: email@example.com
Application must be received by 11:59pm, May 20th, 2013.
Applicants who fail to include three references. We thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Position: Guest Services – Johnson GEO CENTRE
Employment Status: Permanent, Part-time.
Hours of Work: 8-12 houes per week; Days/Weekends/Evenings.
Requirements: Certificate of Conduct (less than 30 days old); A minimum of three references.
Who can apply: Applicants must be leagally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial legislation and regulations
Visual merchandising within GEO GIFTS
- The receipt, pricing and sale of mechandise in GEO GIFTS.
- Handling of cash and other forms of payment relating to the sale of merchandise and admissions.
- Interacting with visitors and large groups to enhance their GEO CENTRE experience.
- Providing knowledge regarding locally crafted merchandise.
- Providing general GEO CENTRE and tourist information.
- Other duities as required.
- Retail experience, including handling cash.
- Desire to work with the visiting public.
- Experience with the tourism industry and asset.
- Demonstrated exprience with computers, and/or POS systems.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Ability to speak french an asset.
- A working knowledge of the geology of Newfoundland and Labrador an asset
To Apply: Deliver, email or fax your resume with cover letter, including three references and a current RNC Certificate of Conduct (no older than 30 days) to:
Ms. Jackie Murphy; Manager, Admissions & Gifts; Johnson GEO CENTRE; 175 Signal Hill Road; St. John’s, NL; A1A 1B2; Fax: (709) 737-7885; email: firstname.lastname@example.org