The Johnson GEO CENTRE is a world-class museum built upon the rocks of Signal Hill… and the dedication of our staff. We take great care in hiring people who have the knowledge and dedication to help us continually improve our exhibits, our programs,
and our customer service
As positions become available, we will present them here. Please check back regularly. Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of our great team at the Johnson GEO CENTRE.
Science Interpreter 2
Position: Science Interpreter 2
Employment Status: Part-Time, Temporary
Hours of Work: 0 – 20 hours per week Days / Evenings / Weekends
Rate of Pay: $11.50 per hour
Application Resume and Cover Letter
Who can apply: Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with provincial legislation and regulations.
Summary of Position:
The Science Interpreter interacts with visitors of all ages, leading tours and interpretive programs within the Johnson GEO CENTRE and GEO PARK. Interpreters make a GEO CENTRE visit a memorable experience for the general public, by providing excellent visitor services, knowledge and learning opportunities in a fun, hands-on manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work as a member of a team to deliver GEO CLASSES
- Interact with GEO CENTRE visitors to enhance their experience.
- Provide excellent visitor services and interpretation to the general public including families, school and youth groups, tourists and birthday party groups.
- Provide basic security and monitoring of the exhibit spaces.
- Prepare and present daily interpretative programs, tours and science demonstrations.
- Operated the Steele Earth & Space Theatre, showing 2D and 3D movies.
- Other duties as required and assigned.
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident entitled to work in Canada.
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Excellent public speaking and communication skills.
- Experience leading tours, programs, or day camps.
- Outgoing, polite, friendly and patient.
- Basic knowledge of the geology and/or cultural history of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Able to work a variety of shifts.
- Preference given to candidates with a background in Science (Earth Science, Biology, Physical Geography), Arts (Archaeology, Anthropology), and/or Tourism.
- Experience working in a science centre or museum an asset.
To Apply: Email your resume with cover letter to:
Ms. Andrea van Nostrand
Manager, Education & Interpretation
Applications must be received by 11:59pm, October 7th, 2018.
Applicants who fail to include three references and Certificate of Conduct will be screened out of the competition. We thank all who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.