Everyone knows about the Great Wall of China. It’s pretty big and pretty old, dating back a few thousand years. Not so many people know about the Great Rock Wall of the Johnson GEO CENTRE.
Admittedly we’re nowhere near as big as that other wall, but in terms of age, we win by a landslide. The rocks of Signal Hill in St. John’s were formed some 550 million years ago!
The Johnson GEO CENTRE is built within the rock of Signal Hill, and as you walk through the exhibits you’ll see those walls proudly on display. Stop and admire them up close, and remember that those walls are:
- 450 million years older than the first formations of the Rocky Mountains!
- 400 million years older than the world’s first birds and flowering plants!
- 300 million years older than the first dinosaurs!
- 150 million years older than the first land plants and insects!
- 100 million years older than the very first fish!
Signal Hill is part of “Avalonia,” one of four ancient, drifting continents. Part of each continent joined together to form the island of Newfoundland. So be sure to say hi to the Great Rock Wall of the Johnson GEO CENTRE. It’s been waiting for you for a very long time!